Insider 12-7-2011

Hi, my name is Stuart Spengler, and I am the new hobby manager here at Privateer Press. You might have seen my name on the credits pages of Privateer Press books under graphic design and photography. I’ve also penned a number of hobby-related articles for No Quarter Magazine.

When we got the new plastic Mercenary plastic heavy warjack kits here at Privateer Press, there was some talk about how the plastic kit allowed you to pose the model in all sorts of action-packed poses. As a bit of a palate cleanser before the plethora of upcoming projects (which I am sure will be revealed over the next months), I worked up a quick Nomad for my non-existent Mercenary army. I had a lot of fun doing the Ogrun Assault Corps for a recent Guts & Gears article in No Quarter, so I wanted to revisit the muddy, dirty look I gave those models.

The one change I made to the model was to grind out the wrist of the right arm and make it a ball and socket joint. I also created the base using plaster with a mix that was heavier on the plaster side. After applying the plaster, and before it had fully dried, I poked it and prodded at it with an old brush to give it more of a churned-up, war-torn battlefield look. I made a particular effort to have some variance of depth to the plaster, as I like having recesses where I can put muddy standing water.

Once I got to the painting side of things, I wanted the Nomad to look like an old Cygnar warjack that was still in service, years after it had been decommissioned. I started with Exile Blue mixed with a bit of Trollblood Highlight on all the armor plates, which I then washed with a mix of Exile Blue and mixing medium. I didn’t want to take too much time shading and highlighting the blue, as I knew it would just get covered up. I then took Trollblood Highlight and painted that on top of the armor fairly roughly. I applied the highlight in layers and built it up to give the impression that it was flaking and wearing away to reveal the original scheme underneath. Once I was happy with the coverage, I went over the entire model with various wash mixes of browns and mixing medium to tie the colors together and give the model the appearance of an old salt.